Banner Viadrina

Language requirements

For Course Programs in German

Applicants with a foreign university entrance qualification (school leaving ceritificate, e.g. Abitur or equivalent) need to document their level of German (for course programs in German only). German language skills should be equivalent C1 of the common European Framework of References for Languages (CEFR).

You can study at the Viadrina with the following German certificates.

1. German Language Exam (DSH)

The German Language Exam for admission to higher education ("Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang" - DSH) allows you access to German Higher Education. All German institutions of higher education will recognize this exam as long as you have passed it with Level 2 (DSD II).

The DSH exam is offered by the Language Centre of the European University Viadrina as a part of its preporatory course program as well as by other German Universities. More information on the DSH exam (for example the test date) are included in the admission documents. For further detailed information please contact the Language Centre.

2. German as Foreign Language Exam (TestDaF)

This exam ("Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache" - TestDaF) can be done with Test DAF institutes all over the world. In order to study at the Viadrina you need to have at least level 4 in all parts of the exam (TDN 4).

3. German School Leaving Certificate

The German school leaving certificate from a German speaking school in Germany, Austria or Switzerland allows you access to German Higher Education.

4. German Language Diploma of the “Kultusministerkonferenz” (KMK)

German Language Diploma of the “Kultusministerkonferenz” - 2nd level (DSD II) with the niveau C1 (CEFR) in all 4 components of the exam - is also a satysfying proof of the language knowledge.

5. German Language Diploma of Goethe Institut

Another recognized language exam is the "Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom/ Goethe-Zertifikat C2 (GDS)" of the German "Goethe Institut".

6. German Degree or Preperatory College ("Studienkolleg")

When you successfully completed a degree at a German university where the teaching language is German you do not need any further proof of language knowledge. This applies as well if you have passed a DSH or an equivalent  within a preparatory college (Studienkolleg).

7. The European Language Certificates Exam (telc)

The exam "telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule" is recognized as proof of sufficient German language level as well. The nonprofit telc GmbH is a full member of the Association of Language Testers in Europe (ALTE). telc language exams can be taken in over 3,000 test centers in 20 countries, including community colleges and private language schools.

For Bachelor Programs in English

For the bachelor program International Business Administration sufficient English language skills are required. More information can be found directly on the page of the program.

For Master Programs

Please be aware that the requirements of the master programs can be different! Therefor, inform yourself at the webpage of the respective master program to learn the particular language requirements!