for Study Programs in German
For all study programs held in German (bachelor & master) the necessary German language skills at C1-level of the Common European Framework of References for Languages (CEFR) have to be proven at the beginning of studies, i.e. latest at time of enrollment at the Viadrina.
You can study at the Viadrina with the following German certificates:
1. German Language Exam (DSH) *
The German Language Exam for admission to higher education ("Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang" - DSH) allows you access to German Higher Education. All German institutions of higher education will recognize this exam as long as you have passed it with the level DSH-2 (DSD II) or above.
The Language Centre of the European University Viadrina offers a preparation course for this exam. More information on the DSH exam (for example the exam date) are included in the admission documents. For further detailed information, please contact the Language Centre.
2. German as Foreign Language Exam (TestDaF) *
This exam called "Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache" - TestDaF can be done all over the world. In order to study at the Viadrina you need to have at least level 4 in all parts of the exam (TDN 4) or above.
3. German Secondary School Leaving Certificate
The German "Abitur" is valid as proof of German, as well as equal German-language secondary school qualifications from e.g. Austria and Switzerland.
4. German Language Certificate (DSD) *
As well the German Language Certificate of the “Kultusministerkonferenz” - 2nd level (DSD II) and the level C1 (CEFR) in all 4 components of the exam is accepted.
5. German Language Certificate of "Goethe Institut" (GDS) *
Another recognized language exam is the "Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom / Goethe-Zertifikat C2 (GDS)" administered by the German "Goethe Institut".
6. Studies in Germany
Anyone who successfully completed a study program of min. 6 semesters at a German university where the teaching language is German does not need any further proof of language proficiency.
7. "Studienkolleg" (Feststellungsprüfung) *
Those who have passed an equivalent language examination at a German "Studienkolleg" (Feststellungsprüfung) do not need any further proof of language proficiency.
8. The European Language Certificates Exam ("telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule") *
The "telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule” telc GmbH passed with "satisfactory" (i.e. at least 151 points) is accepted as sufficient proof of German competency. The nonprofit telc GmbH is a full member of the Association of Language Testers in Europe (ALTE). telc language exams can be taken in over 3,000 test centers in 20 countries, including community colleges and private language schools.
* If this certificate is older than 3 years, either a current certificate must be submitted or participation in our DSH-2 examination is required.
The proof of your current knowledge of German (at least B2) must already be submitted with the application so that it can be determined,
- whether this knowledge is sufficient for the studying
- or whether you have to take the DSH or an equivalent exam before starting your studies
- or whether enrollment will not be possible due to a lack of language skills.
For study programs only held in English (Bachelor & Master) at the beginning of studies, i.e. at the latest at time of enrollment at the Viadrina, the necessary English language skills must be proven.
- The accepted certificates and the requirements concerning the level of English language skill vary depending on the program. Please inform yourself accordingly.
- If, in addition to English, German is also required as the language of studies, the above mentioned requirements apply!
Additional Language Skills
Please note that depending on the study program (Bachelor & Master), in addition to the language of studies, further language skills may be required.
- The accepted certificates and the requirements concerning the level of this additional language skills vary depending on the course. Please inform yourself accordingly.