The guest house is located just a short distance from both the university and city center at Sophienstrasse 6 in Frankfurt (Oder). This former residence was built between 1908 and 1910 as a single-family home for Dr. Keller, who served as counsel for the office of legal affairs at the time. From the mid 1930s until 1939, the building served not only as a residence but also as administrative offices; it was used as a medical facility from the end of WWII until 1949. In the early 1950s, the building was given to the GDR's youth organization, and the former council of the Frankfurt (Oder) Administrative District took control of the facility for the purpose of creating a singles' residence in 1955. The complete reconstruction of the facilities into a guest house for the administrative district's council was undertaken in the early 1980s. Viadrina European University has been using the facilities as a guest house since August 1994. For the creation of a modern university guest house, an addition was constructed and the structure was updated between December 1996 and November 1997.