Banner Viadrina

Application Faculty of Law

The first step is to apply at the Department of International Affairs at Viadrina. After our confirmation you apply directly at the partner university.


  • The confirmation from Viadrina that you application has been successful is not the final confirmation of your stay abroad. The final decision is made by the partner university, which will be informed of our decision. Usually, students that we nominate will be accepted.
  • Please be aware that it is not possible to apply to the partner university before you have received a confirmation from the Department of International Affairs of the Viadrina.

Application to the Department of International Affairs of the Viadrina / Faculty of Law

Applications should be addressed to Prof. Carmen Thiele and to the Department of International Affairs – Nicole Klück and Christin Reise or Claudia Casiano when applying for our North and Latin American programs.

Application documents

Submit in a simple folder:

  • Personal statement

    Only on your first desired university – 1 to max. 2 A4-pages in German (or English if you prefer to write in this language).
    If you wish to complete two consecutive stays abroad please include, in your personal statement, both desired universities.

  • CV

  • Overview of all grades

    Print out from the HIS-Portal. In the case that not all of your qualifications are listed on the print-out, please use the Transcript form (Transcript-Formular) in German after you have presented the original certificates to the Department of International Affairs (AM 207 or AM 209). For Master students also include a copy of your bachelor certificate.

  • Proof of Language proficienc

    PDF-form with language course overview from ViaCampus in "My Studies - My achievements"; where applicable other certificates. If you do not have any official documentation confirming your language level, please register for a language level test with the DAAD language level confirmation form (English, French, Russian, Spanish) at the respective language department in the Language Center. Special arrangements need to be made for the Spanish, Russian and English language department.

  • Certificate of enrollment

    Does not apply to Masters students who are not yet enrolled.

Application submision

  • Offices of the Department of International Affairs

Preferably in AM207, but also possible in AM209, AM214, AM 206 or use the mail box in front of room AM213.

Application deadline

December 10th 2019 until 01:00 pm. For the left over spots round, please find the deadlines on our website on leftover spots.

Application to the partner university

After you have received the confirmation of your stay abroad at a partner university we will have information sessions where you will be informed about how and when to apply at the partner university. These information sessions take place between February and May and you will be separately invited to them. In beforehand you can already inform yourself on the respective homepages about deadlines and required application documents at the partner university.

Information for Erasmus+ stays

  • Grant „Auslands-BAföG“

    Apply early, directly after the confirmation from us. Further information can be found on our website under Financing.

  • Visa

    Please be aware that some countries require a visa, for example Turkey, and this should be obtained ahead of time.

  • Specific Requirements of the Partner Universities

    Some partner universities require a specific GPA (Grade Point Average) or that you have completed a specific number of ECTS credits at the time of your application. All specific requirements are included in our partner university list.

Information for Non-EU stays

  • Overview of all grades / Transcript forms

    For some partner universities a grade statement from the HIS-Portal is not sufficient. A transcript is required (sometimes in the language of host country), please find the forms here: English, Spanish, Russian. Please fill in the form and bring it together with your HIS-grade statement to be validated by us (AM 209/AM207).

  • Language Certificates:

    • For Latin-American universities a DAAD-language certificate (take a pre-printed form with you) from the head of the Spanish language department at the Language Centre needs to be filled in. Other official language certificates might also be required.
    • The North American and Australian universities require a language certificate in the form of TOEFL. As soon as you receive the confirmation that you have been chosen by the Department for International Affairs, register with TOEFL.
    • Also in Russia some partner universities require an official language certificate. You can obtain this from the head of the Russian language department at the Language Centre. Please take the pre-printed form of DAAD-language certificate with you.

  • Grant „Auslandsbafög“

    Apply early, directly after you receive the confirmation from us. In some cases the Bafög forms must be included with your application to the partner university. Further information can be found on our website under Financing.

  • Passport

    A copy is required to be included with your application and it must be valid for a minimum of one year from the start of your stay abroad. Please have a valid passport ready.