Banner Viadrina


Stays abroad in European countries

EU Citizens don’t require visas for a stay in almost all European countries, in some cases legal formalities will have to be dealt locally. Please be aware that there are often costs attached to these formalities. Details can be found on the website of the partner university or the respective diplomatic missions of the host country.

Non-EU citizens  usually apply for the visa from their home countries. In many cases they can also apply for it from the relevant embassy in Germany, but be aware that this process can in some extent take up a lot of time.

Stays outside of Europe

For stays abroad in non-EU countries, EU and non-EU citizens require the same visa. Please contact the relevant embassies for the application procedure. 

First steps of the visa application:

  • Your received your confirmation that you have been accepted for a foreign exchange program from the Department of International Affairs.
  • After you have been accepted to a partner university of the Viadrina, you will be invited to an information event. There you will be informed of the application procedure to the partner university and the visa requirements.
  • Check with the embassy of the relevant country whether or not you need a visa and, if so, what the procedure is.
  • After the application process through the Department of International Affairs and the authorization of the partner university you will receive your acceptance confirmation (Letter of Acceptance).
  • With this acceptance confirmation (Letter of Acceptance) apply to the relevant embassy.