9. Which conditions must be met, in order to have abroad-earned credits recognized?
- University-earned credits: abroad-earned credits must be completed at a university that has an accredited doctoral program (not at a college or something similar; however, there are exceptions, e.g., our partner universities).
- Credits compatible with Social and Cultural Studies: abroad-earned credits must have been earned in disciplines that are also represented at the Social and Cultural Studies Faculty at Viadrina, or must be closely related to Social and Cultural Studies. (To this end, some academic fields and disciplines can also count even though they do not have a chair at Viadrina’s Social and Cultural Studies Faculty, e.g., film studies, theater studies, musicology, journalism, etc.)
- A course must have a total of 22.5 contact hours per semester (or a minimum of 1.5 contact hours per week for 15 weeks) to be recognized.
- Course equivalency: credits earned abroad must have been earned in courses that corresponds to the academic level of Viadrina (see question 10 for how to demonstrate academic level).