Banner Viadrina

Manchester Metropolitan University

This double degree programme has been suspended since 2021/22, as due to the restructuring of university programmes in the UK, our double agreement has to be renegotiated. Until further notice, only one-semester stays abroad at MMU are possible.

About the University

Manchester Metropolitan University is, after the University of Manchester, the city’s second biggest university. It was founded in 1970 as a polytechnic and has had university status since 1992. MMU has around 34,000 students. The MMU Business School is located at the Aytoun Campus opposite the central Manchester Piccadilly railway station. Having 5,000 students, the MMU Business School is the second biggest business school in England. It offers a wide range of subjects and specializations to domestic and foreign students.

The city

The metropolitan area of Manchester in the north-west of England is home to 2.5m people. Even after the period of the industrial revolution Manchester remains an industrial location in England. Manchester is mainly known in Germany for its football clubs.

Students apply for the double degree programme at the Department Viadrina International Affairs. For more detailed information on the application procedure and the deadlines, please refer to the application form.


  • At the time of your departure to Manchester you must have completed at least four semesters at the Viadrina.
  • You must have sufficient language skills.

The language of tuition is English. Therefore, you need to have English language skills at B2 level to be able to participate in the DD programme.

Winter semester: Mid September – end December
Summer semester: Mid-January – end June

Please look at the MMU homepage for the exact semester times.

Please keep in mind when planning your studies that the academic calendars in Germany and Britain differ considerably. Double degree students’ semester at the MMU begins mid-September. You will stay in Manchester for one year.

You have to attend three compulsory courses and two elective courses and to complete a Bachelor Thesis at the Manchester Metropolitan University. The MMU will send you the necessary forms a couple of months before your study year begins. Please complete these and return them to the MMU within the deadline.

The elective courses include areas such as human resources, marketing, logistics, finance, ethics, e-business, risk management, international management etc. In order to successfully complete these courses, you usually need to make a presentation, prepare a written paper and take a three-hour examination. The exams take place from the end of May until the middle of June. The Bachelor Thesis is written during your studies and has to be handed in by mid-April.

Attention: Information about the courses will follow soon.

You can find general information about recognition procedures on the pages of the Department Viadrina International Affairs under the point recognition.

In order to receive a degree from the Viadrina it is necessary to complete the modules in your course of study. For this purpose, you can, in consultation with us, have courses recognized which you completed as part of the double degree programme abroad. Please discuss the recognition with Torsten Glase before your departure.

In order to obtain a British degree, you have to provide MMU with your degree certificate, or a complete transcript of records (usually a HIS portal printout) from Viadrina. The MMU then issues you a degree certificate.

The Bachelor Thesis consists of approx. 10,000 words (50-60 pages). The topic has to be business related and be placed within an international context. It is written and supervised at the MMU.

A semester off: You are generally free to take one or two semesters off for your stay abroad. However, in this case, you cannot receive acceptance for foreign certificates or examinations. You cannot take the semester off in which you do your Master Thesis.

Health insurance: If you have compulsory German health insurance and possess a European Health Insurance Card you are entitled to basic coverage in other European countries. However, if you stay abroad for a longer period it is recommended that you take out additional insurance.

Accommodation: The MMU has its own student dormitories. In addition, it is possible to rent a single room in privately run student accommodations or to rent a student house with several other students.

The journey: Is possible by aircraft.

Living expenses: Approx. 1000€ - 1200€.

Visa: If you are an EU citizen, a valid passport or ID card is sufficient. If you are a non-EU citizen, please check the visa requirements on the website of the British embassy.

You can find the most up-to-date student reports under the keyword "United Kingdom" on our website.