Banner Viadrina

5 Steps to the Viadrina - Documents & Forms

⇒ Bachelor Programs
⇒ State Examination in Law

General Terms of Admission:
University Entrance Qualification

Prerequisite for the admission to studies in Germany is the acquisition of a university entrance qualification / "Hochschulzugangsberechtigung" (= HZB). Your foreign qualification must be equivalent to a university entrance qualification obtained in Germany (i.e. a secondary school diploma, e.g. Abitur or equivalent).

Please be aware that the definition of the university entrance qualification (secondary school diploma, e.g. Abitur or equivalent) can vary from country to country. This means that in certain cases, 1 or 2 years of successful studies at a recognized university in your home country, a 1-year term at a German "Studienkolleg" or the fulfilment of other prerequisites (e.g. APS) are required for admission to studies.

Please, inform yourself early about the requirements applicable to you!

Where to find information on university entrance qualification?

  • Whether you have a university entrance qualification in Germany and, if so, which one, you can check for yourself in the Database on admission requirements of the DAAD (available in German & English).

  • About the required exams/certificates/degrees and documents to be provided for it, you can find information  in anabin (available in German, English version planned).

  • If you qualify with your previous education "to a preparatory course", i.e. "Studienkolleg/Feststellungsprüfung", you are welcome to find out more about the preparatory programs of our Viadrina College.

Required Documents and Forms

  1. Online Application / Enrollment

    1. When applying for the 1st academic semester ***
      >> via UNI-ASSIST <<

      You apply via uni-assist, i.e.:
    2. When enrolling for a higher academic semester or with "Studienkolleg" ***
      >> at the VIADRINA <<

      You enroll directly at the VIADRINA, i.e.:
      • First you apply online in viaCampus.
      • After submitting the online registration, a PDF file will be generated.
        • Page 1 is your request for enrollment. You can print this out and personally sign it by hand or provide it with a digital signature. You must submit this request together with the required documents.
        • The information on pages 2 and 3 is for your personal records. These pages do not need to be submitted.
      • Under 5 steps to the Viadrina >> Step 3: Application Procedures you will find more information.

      • Important when applying for a higher academic semester!
  2. University Entrance Qualification (HZB)
    (Secondary school diploma, e.g. Abitur or equivalent and, if applicable, proof of "Studienkolleg" or other required proofs)

    1. an Officially Certified Photocopy
      • i.e. officially certified copy(ies) of the original proof(s)!
      • This qualification must be equivalent to a university entrance qualification obtained in Germany, (i.e. secondary school diploma, e.g. Abitur or equivalent). The definition of the foreign university entrance qualification can vary from country to country (see above).
      • Please enquire about the necessary requirements applicable to you.
      • Please, also note the information at 5 steps to the Viadrina >> Step 2: Preparation - Documents and Forms!

    2. and an Official Translation
      • This translation must be issued by a certified translator!
      • Must be translated into either German or English!
        If your school provides a German or English version, an officially certified copy thereof will be accepted. A separate translation is not required in this case.

  3. all Available Proofs of Previous Studies / Study Achievements

        • Please enclose all proof of education beginning from the secondary school leaving certificate, e.g. degree certificate(s), transcript(s) of records, already completed university degree(s), including the applied official grading scale(s)!

        • as officially certified copy(ies)  &  official translation(s)
  4. Proof of Required Language Skills

        • German: for all study programs held in German
          Please check accepted tests and the respective requirements.
          Those proofs have to be submitted as an officially certified copy!

          Be aware:
          • The proof of your current German language skills (min. B2) must be submitted as an officially certified copy with all other application documents already at the time of application.
          • The proof of the required German language skills must be submitted, in case of admission for studying, as an officially certified copy or in original latest at the time of enrollment.

  5. Tabular Curriculum Vitae (CV)

  6. Copy of Passport
        • A simple non-certified copy is required.
        • It must clearly show: the passport holders name, date and place of birth as well as your signature.

  7. in Case of Changes to your Name/s
        • Add the proof of any changes to your name/s as officially certified copy!
  8. when Applying with uni-assist
        • Add the proof of payment of the uni-assist application-processing fee!

** You want to apply for the program "Deutsch-Polnisches Jurastudium"?
      Please, follow the relevant application information!

What is an "Official Certification" and  an "Official Translation"?

Please do not submit any original documents! Please send photocopies.

Remember, the correct authorities must officially certify and translate certain photocopies!

      • Applicants from EU-countries: Photocopies can be officially certified by a notary, by schools, or by universities.

      • Applicants from non EU-countries: Photocopies have to be officially certified at a German consulate or by an authorized notary.

Please, also note the information at 5 steps to the Viadrina >> Step 2: Preparation - Documents and Forms!

All the best for your application!