Students enrolled at Viadrina have the opportunity to apply to study only part time. This could be done under the following conditions:
- You must apply for part-time student status for at least two semesters.
- A maximum of only 30 ECTS credits may be earned during these two semesters. If you are enrolled in any of the law majors and your goal is to complete the First Law Exam, then you may only take at most half of the offered midterm exams.
- If more than 30 ECTS credits are aquired, the student falls back into the full-time student category.
- Every semester completed under part-time student status counts only as half a regular semester; two part-time semesters count as one full semester.
Reasons for part-time student status
It is possible to enroll as a part-time student if, for personal reasons, the applicant will not be able to complete his/her studies within the time it takes for a full-time student.
Personal reasons are especially the following:
- Taking care of a child
- Caring for a family member
- Disability or chronic illness
- Employment with working hours of at least 15 hours per week
- Other personal reasons can be recognized on an individual basis.
- Applying at the admissions office is possible till the end of the re-registration period.
- Verification for your personal reasons is required.
- The application requires that the chairperson of the examination board be consulted with for drafting an individual study plan.
- Applying more than once is possible.
Please note that
- Part-time students have the same status at the university as full-time students and must pay the full semester fee.
- Being supported through government financial aid (BAföG) and having part-time student status are mutually exclusive.
- If you are enrolled in a major at the law faculty that requires the state examination and you would like to make use of the free trial test scheme (§ 13 BbgJAO) your part-time semesters will count as regular, full-time semesters and your part-time status is not taken into account.
If you are pursuing a Magister of Law or are majoring in German and Polish Law, applying for part-time student status is not possible.