Banner Viadrina

Montpellier Business School

About the university

The Montpellier Business School has existed since 1897 and is one of France’s private Grande École. It belongs to the group of Écoles Supérieures de Commerce. The school has triple international accreditation (AACSB, AMBA, EFMD/EPAS) and belongs to the best business schools in France

The city

Montpellier is located in the warm south of France not far from the Mediterranean coast. About 60,000 students are enrolled in the city’s various universities. The city’s Mediterranean flair and buildings from the 19th century remain attractive for tourists.

Application and Requirements

Students apply for the double program at the Department of International Affairs. For more detailed information on the application procedure and the application deadlines, please refer to the application form.


    • At the time of your departure to Montpellier you have to have completed at least four semesters at Viadrina
    • You require 90-100 ECTS before entering the program
    • You can study in French or English. It is not possible to mix the languages of tuition. You have to provide proof of the necessary language skills.
Language skills

In order to take part in the program you need to provide proof that you have sufficient English or French language skills, depending on which language you have chosen. The Montpellier Business School requires proof of language skills.

  • English: B2
  • French: B2 or CTF B1/B2, DELF
Semester times

Winter semester: September – January
Summer semester: January – June

Please see the Montpellier Business School homepage for the exact semester times.

Please bear in mind when planning your studies that the academic calendars in Germany and France differ. Dual degree students start their studies at the Montpellier Business School in the winter semester in September. It is not possible to start in the summer semester. You stay in Montpellier for one year.

Choice of course /Type of teaching

Choice of course: 17 compulsory and elective courses have to be completed.

You can obtain information about the courses on offer and recognition at Viadrina from the following pages.

Type of teaching: the courses are divided into small classes which gives you a lot of contact with fellow students who are attending the same program. The final grade usually comprises of group work/participation (20%), interim tests (30%) and a final examination (50%). You are required to attend the classes.

Recognition of certificates and examinations
You can find general advice about recognition procedures on the pages of the Department of International Affairs under the heading recognition.

In order to receive a degree from Viadrina it necessary to complete the modules in your course of study. To this purpose, you can, in consultation with us, have courses recognized which you completed as part of the dual program abroad. Discuss recognition with Torsten Glase before your departure.

In order to obtain a French degree, you have to provide Montpellier Business School with your degree certificate from Viadrina. The school then issues you with a degree certificate.

Bachelor Diploma

The Bachelor's thesis is written and supervised after your return at the Viadrina.

Useful Information: insurance, accommodation, travel etc.
A semester off: you are generally free to take one or two semesters off for your stay abroad. However, in this case, you cannot receive acceptance for foreign certificates or examinations. You cannot take the semester off in which you do your final assignment. 

Health insurance: if you have compulsory German health insurance and possess a European Health Insurance Card you are entitled to basic coverage in other European countries. However, if you stay abroad for a longer period it is recommended that you take out additional insurance.

Accommodation: the Montpellier Business school has student dormitories. However, these are relatively expensive. Therefore, it is recommended to rent private accommodation. As an exchange student, you have a right to housing benefit in France which can be applied for at the Caisses d’Allocations Familiales (CAF). The “taxes d'habitation”, or accommodation tax, is usually included in your rent. Please make sure that this is the case when you conclude your rental contract, otherwise you will be obliged to pay this additional expense.

The Journey: is possible by air. You can also travel by rail or by bus – then you do not have any weight restrictions for your luggage.

Living expenses: approx. €700-€900.

Visa: not necessary for EU citizens with a valid passport or identity card. If you are not a EU citizen you should refer to the visa regulations on the website of the French Embassy.

Student reports
You can find the most up-to-date student reports under the keyword "France" on our website.