Banner Viadrina


Visa for Germany

Please apply for a visa at a German embassy in your home country well ahead of your planned arrival.
Unless you are a student from
- the European Union or
- a country with differing regulations concerning visas (e.g. Honduras, Iceland, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and USA)
you will need a visa in order to live and study in Germany.

Make sure the visa is a multiple entry visa for Germany.

Do not arrive in Germany on a tourist visa since it is not possible to convert it into a residence permit!

New: Since your study period in Germany will be less than 12 months, you may ask the German visa department to issue a D-Visa valid for the entire period of your stay with reference to Article 18 Section 2 SDÜ. In this case, no residence permit (Aufenthaltstitel) will be required for your stay to Germany.

Visa for Poland

Frankfurt (Oder) is a border town and you will most likely want to cross the border at some point during your stay as there are not only dormitories situated on the polish side. Also a lot of lectures are held there / taking place there in the common /corporate institution of the European University Viadrina and the Adam Mickiewicz University, the Collegium Polonicum. Due to this fact you will have to apply additionally for an entrance visa to Poland. Please contact the Polish embassy in your home country in good time.

Please be sure that you apply for a "multiple entry" visa, too.

Information about your rights and responsibilities as foreign citizen residing in Germany can be found on the homepage of Prof. Dr. Gerard C. Rowe, representative (or commissioner) of foreign guests.