Application Business Administration and Economics
Please note that applications are only accepted once a year (November/December). Applications are for an entire academic year, that is, for the winter semester of the coming year and for the summer semester of the following year. (Example: you are applying in December 2014, for a stay abroad during winter semester 2015/16 and summer semester 2016).
1st Step: Getting information
A large amount of information has been put together for you on our preparation for study abroad pages.
2nd Step: Applying at the International Office
The application must be sent to: the Department of International Affairs – Torsten Glase and Aleksandra Klecha, as well as to Grietje Zimmermann, if you are applying for our Latin American programs.
The following documents are required to successfully apply (submit in a simple application folder):
- Printout of online application. (Login with @hotmail, @msn, @live, @outlook.com is not possible, please use a different e-mail).
- Attention: Before you fill out and submit your online application, please check if your faculty actually has a partnership agreement with the university that you have selected.
- Letter of motivation: should be written with regard to your first choice university (1 to 2 max.; A4 size paper; written in German*)
- Resume/CV (with photo)
- Transcript: Printout from His-Portal. Master students must additionally include a copy of their previous diploma and transcript.
- Proof of language proficiency: Printout (Studienbuch) from the Language Center website; if applicable, any other certificates. In case you don’t have proof of your language proficiency, please have yourself tested with the use of the DAAD language certificate form (English, French, Spanish – forms for other languages can be found online) at the appropriate language department. For the Russian Department and Spanish Department specific requirements are in place.
- Current certificate of enrollment. (Does not apply to Master’s students who are not yet enrolled.)
* Students who prefer to write their letter of motivation in English may do so. Students applying for the double Master’s degree program with SGH please provide your letter of motivation in English.
Application must be submitted to: office AM 207, AM 214, AM 216, or the mailbox in front of room AM 213.
Application Deadline: 08.12.2014 (6:00 pm)
3rd Step: Selection
The International Office processes the screening of applicants based on the submitted application and its supporting documents. Following that, you will get a notification via email with the selection results.
If you applied to a university that falls within our non-EU program, or if you applied for an international joint degree, then you might in some cases also be invited to an application interview. Only afterward will you receive a notification via email about the decision of the selection committee.
Notifications will be sent out by the end of January / beginning of February.
Residual places are allocated beginning in mid/late February and continuing through the end of the year.
Attention: The approval that you get from Viadrina does not constitute a final pledge to study abroad. The ultimate decision for that is in the hands of the partner university, which is informed of the selection results. In general, however, students that are nominated by us are accepted.
4th Step: Informational Talks
Those who have been selected to study abroad will be invited to an informational event sometime in March/April. At this meeting, you will receive information about the application process and general information about the partner university. Additionally, you will receive instructions on how to fill out all the forms that are still needed as well as information on how to get recognition of the credits that you will earn abroad.
5th Step: Applying to the Partner University
After the informational talks, all applications and supporting documents for the partner university must be submitted to the International Office. The partner university will in most cases also send you an informational email (you will get initial tips during the informational talks (see step 4)).
Attention: Please keep in mind that you cannot apply to the partner university before you receive approval from the International Office.
Tips for Erasmus Stays:
- Financial aid for studying abroad (Auslandsbafög) should be applied for, if applicable, very early. You can find more information on our site under Financing.
- A visa is necessary to enter Turkey; it is your responsibility to acquire one in time.
- Some partner universities have set certain admission requirements for exchange students (e.g., official language certificates like TOEFL, minimum GPA, number of already-acquired ECTS credits) further information is available in our list of partner universities as well as on the partner universities’ websites.
Tips for non-EU Stays:
- Transcript forms are separately required (if applicable, in the national language) from many universities. You can find templates here: English, Spanish, Russian
- Language certificates:
- North American and Australian universities generally require the TOEFL score in the place of a language certificate. As soon as you are notified that the International Office selected you, register to take the TOEFL.
- Also, in Russia, now and then, official language certificates are required. An exam can be taken through the Russian Department.
- Financial aid for studying abroad (Auslandsbafög) should be applied for, if applicable, very early. In fact, in many cases the Bafög (financial aid) form must be enclosed with the application to the partner university. You can find more information on our site under Financing.
- A copy of your passport needs to be included in the application to a non-EU university. Your passport must be valid at least until a year after your planned stay abroad is to begin.
November 12th 2014
December 8th 2014
- Application deadline for Erasmus+ (EU), NON-EU, International multiple degree.
- Interviews for the selection process for students study abroad (usually only for non-EU-programs).
End of January
- Announcement of selection results by email.
Mid/ end February
- 1st round of Residual place allocation (abbreviated application process)
Beginning in March
- 2nd round of Residual place allocationt (first come – first serve)
March 3rd 2015
- Application deadline for the Erasmus Mundus Action 2 Programm PUEDES with Latin America (Application Start date: 22.10.2014)
March – May
- Informational talks in preparation for study abroad
March - August
- Application to the partner university